As the weather warms and we are seeing more bulbs and flowers popping up it’s worth remembering that some of these are not going to be good for your dog to eat…Particularly important if you’ve a young inquisitive puppy!
Daffodils are top of the list of spring flowers that aren’t great for your dogs. Both the bulb, flower and leaves are toxic to dogs and even allowing your dog to drink water from the vase that daffodils have been in is dangerous!
You may not actually see your dog consume anything but daffodils can give your dog:
- Stomach upset
Tulips can also cause digestion issues and upset the gastrointestinal tract including irritating your dog’s mouth. Evidence of this may be seen in: drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea (rarely it can cause heart and breathing problems).
If you think your dog has been poisoned by anything you should act quickly. Contact your vet immediately. If your dog has been poisoned by a packet of something take the packet and information with you to the vets (you could also send them a pic of it in advance as you are travelling). If you know what it was they ate or drank that wasn’t a packet try to estimate how much you think they have had and write this down, along with the symptoms that they are suffering and include notes on time frames as all this can help your vet.